Thursday, February 5, 2009

Skipping Rocks

I've been tagged by Belina Blue Eyes!


In my efforts to follow the instructions exactly (sixth file, sixth picture) I found this picture of myself and grandson Dallin skipping rocks at East Canyon Dam.


Skipping rocks brings back some of the fondest memories of my childhood. My cousin Jill and I spent many hours skipping rocks under a big bridge over the Bear River where it ran through Cache Junction, in my beloved Cache Valley, Utah.


(tears, gulp, sniffle)


During the hot summers and after a day of moving pipe in the beet fields, my cousin Jill and I would walk or ride bikes down to the river. It was wonderfully cool and beautiful there. It was shady and peaceful under the bridge where there was an abundance of perfect, flat rocks that would skip sometimes five or six times. I can see them splashing across the water now. We always had this wonderful place entirely to ourselves. We would sometimes explore, sure we would find some hidden treasure or we would imagine we were on the wild Mississippi. We spent hours there talking about anything and everything, or just not talking at all. Just skipping rocks.


I remember the fun day (in the picture) with Dallin at East Canyon two summers ago. As Dallin and I searched for rocks that would skip, all of these wonderful memories of my childhood came back to me. I wanted to teach him how to find the perfect flat rock, show him just the right way to hold it and just the right way to bend horizontally to the water before throwing it, sidewinder style. Dallin was a quick study. He got the hang of it in a hurry.


Maybe Dallin will have fond memories of his childhood skipping rocks with Grandma.


6 comments:

  1. That was such a sweet picture and post, mom! I love it. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a sweet post. You write a lot like Abby (or Abby writes a lot like you?) and you both have this beautiful way of writing that pulls me in. I'm so excited to see that you're blogging! I'm excited to read more of your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kjersti, thanks! I love your blogs too and all your pictures. What would we all do without all of your pictures. You are the photo historian of our lives.

    I'm glad to be blogging too. Chris helped me create mine and taught me the basics of how to use it. I'm a little slow getting the hang of everything, how to add gadgets and stuff, but so far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love skipping rocks! And I've always wished for a childhood that was spent by a river. :) I guess instead I'll continue to enjoy mine spent in your house. Eating goulash and such.

    ReplyDelete